Tuesday, March 9, 2010

7 pounds, 6.9 ounces, C-Section

I've got so much to share, but wanted to send this quick email before life gets too crazy. When I got here I mentioned to one of the OB/GYNs that I'd love to see "the miracle of life", and last night, Tipu sent one of the PAs for me.

The mother came in late in the afternoon, and had been having contractions since the morning. We tried for a vaginal birth - one of the ER guys and I held her legs (no stirrups on our tables) and pushed while she pushed. The baby had defecated in the amniotic fluid (MAC), the heart rate was over 200, and the mother wasn't responding to oxytocin, so we had to do an emergency c-section.

I grabbed the meds and we headed to the OR.

It went well - slight complications, but today the mother and baby are doing fine.

One of the NICU nurses stayed for the birth, even though she was off, and mentioned to me that this was what she needed to see. I didn't understand what she meant, until she explained that they'd lost 3 babies today.

Since the mom wasn't very coherent (the whole being in labor all day, and having an emergency c-section), and we needed to call the baby something, I "named" her (temporarily) "Joy" - since it was such a joy to have a full term, healthy baby here.


~PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment