Friday, April 30, 2010

day 6; Reflections on the day

Throughout the day, I come up with great things I'd like to share, but by the time I collapse into my cot, I've forgotten most of it.

I talked with Charlie (the opthamologist) earlier today. She'd taken Harrison to a different facility to run some tests on his eye, and it looks like not only will he be keeping it, but will have some vision in it. I cried when I heard the news - I still tear up just thinking about it.

Many amazing, inspiring things have happened this week - too many to write them all down.

I've been working with a group of rock star providers - all of whom I'd be honored to work with again in the future. I've especially been impressed with the peds team. I was surprised to walk into the NICU/PICU and see someone in OHSU scrubs - turns out 18 people came down from the hospital in Oregon, most of whom work at Dornbecher. I've been joking that since I never did a residency, this has been my one-week-intensive peds residency. Before this week, my rule on guestimating patient weight was "under 10 years old, under 100 pounds" (which is why I always ALWAYS ask a dosing weight)... I've learned so much, working 18 hour days, pulling meds to treat, sedate, and comfort our smallest and most vulnerable patients. Hearts of gold, nerves of steele - it takes a special kind of person to help so many babies thrive, and others to their final resting place.

A few weeks before I left Oregon, my friend Cathi put together a Facebook page called "PJ Saves the World". It has journal entries, photos, and chronicles my previous and current trips to Haiti. One of the cool things that has come out of it is the people who found me on facebook, then found me here in Haiti! Before my last trip, I scoured the internet looking for stories from people who'd been in Haiti doing relief work since the earthquake - and didn't find much. It's been so neat to have people contact me and ask questions, be able to ask for things to be brought down on the next flight, and even better, to get to meet these people in person here at camp.

Life here can be a roller coaster - as I was heading to bed, one of the nurses had an exposure with HIV blood. *sighing* I've got prophy kits, and drugs to help with the side effects, but really nothing to help with the overwhelming fear that comes with that kind of exposure. All I can do is hold her while she cries, and be there the best that I can. Sadly, there is not always "a drug for that"...

~PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment