Friday, June 25, 2010

exerpt from an email this morning

I want to send a real "update" - about hiring a new Haitian pharmacist, exploring the J/P HRO tent city, and planning tropical storm evacuation strategies (with J/P HRO, not Medishare... they're still in tents...)... But that may be a few days, and I wanted to share part of an email/friend request I got via facebook this morning that reminded me why I gave up the high paying job in the states and came to Haiti.

The "friend request" said this:

"You dont know me in person but i added you becuase i want to say thank u. Its those of you that help with the project medishare that make inpacts. the team 2 weeks ago changed my life. I am a missionary who was over there and got malaria. One of the doctors saw me and got me out of Haiti in time to save my life. I also saw you where friends with sam (Sam, my medical student) too. he is great he took care of me when i was there for that one night. He is like a big brother."

I never met her in person, but I do remember helping with her care - suggesting treatment options for malaria with one of the doctors for someone that we were talking about shipping to Miami. And it doesn't surprise me that Sam took great care of her - it is my firm belief that he will become the best doctor Haiti has ever seen.

Many of you who read my updates have not been down here to Haiti, and may find it hard to believe, but we are the height of medical technology in Haiti. Even now, when we're technically "closed" to new admits, we accept all of the American relief workers who are sent to us. And even when it means dragging the desk out of the nursing station to make room for an additional bed (and turning our supply area into a makeshift ER), we do the best we can with what we have.


~PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment