Sunday, July 18, 2010

my 15 minutes with anderson cooper

Okay, for the record, I never get "star-struck."  It's not that uncommon for celebrities to come through the Medishare Hospital.  But this was different - this was ANDERSON COOPER.  I got to meet Anderson the other night at The Plaza, and spent about 15 minutes chatting with him.  He held out his hand - "Hi, I'm Anderson" - very genuine, personable, and it was all I could do to carry on an intelligent conversation without giggling.

He had been in Port au Prince earlier in the week to cover the six month anniversary of the quake, flew back to New Orleans to cover the capping of the oil spill for a few days, then came back for a personal visit.  I mentioned that I hadn't heard the news about the oil spill ceasing - when I'm working long days in the hospital sometimes I forget the rest of the world exists.  So he filled me in on what's happened since I left the states.  Yes, my friends, Anderson Cooper gave me my own personal newscast.

He mentioned how sad it is that so many of the NGOs are pulling out of Haiti, and I was quick to mention that Medishare is still here.  "Oh yeah, I love you guys!  You do great work!"  When we parted ways, he thanked us for our continued work down here, and reminded us that we are making a huge difference for the people of Haiti.



Anderson Cooper 360

~PJ

1 comment:

  1. PJ, it is really cool to see that you are doing so much good with your time, it is very commendable. Im also glad to see that you got an "A" in that humilities class you took in life. lol

    ReplyDelete