Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Miselene

CHART NOTES:

13 year old Haitian female with sickle cell disease, bilateral neck masses, nasopharyngeal carcinoma-progressive, respiratory distress, spinal fractures, dysphagia, chronic pain, headaches, decubitus pressure ulcer, anxiety, and insomnia passed away at 13:30 today.

If I were to write it...

13 year old girl, who loves chocolate milk and dancing to pop music. She loves to have her fingernails painted, and to take "field trips" outside. She has a smile that lights up the room, and is one of the bravest people I've ever met. She experienced what any of us would if we had to look death in the face every day; fear, anxiety, and inability to sleep. For months we've been her family; fed and played with her. We prayed when she went to Duke's that they would be able to debulk the tumors. But they weren't, and they sent her home. Home to us.

I'm not new to hospice care, but this is the first time I've done hospice care for someone who I consider family.

She looks so peaceful; like she's sleeping. I keep expecting her to wake up and grab my hand. But she won't. Miselene, my "Haitian daughter", passed away today.

We're sitting here, trying to plan a funeral through an interpreter. If anyone can contribute, we could sure use the help. My paypal account is pjpitts@yahoo.com






~PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment