Saturday, May 8, 2010

it's so hard to say goodbye...

I'm growing to hate Saturdays around here. It's like the last day of summer camp, or breaking up with your high school sweetheart who is moving to another state - having to say goodbye, knowing that you may never again see the people you've grown so close to. Except while everyone else leaves, I stay to repeat it week after week. This week was especially hard; my friend Laura was down for the week with Kat and Jessica (three amazing ICU nurses!), and the chaos of the fire bonded this group pretty strongly. And let's face it - I suck at goodbyes.

But this new week has brought new surprises as well - my friend Paul (Dr. Gannon) whom I met on my first trip to Haiti showed up on a whim to take some photos for the weekend, and Mary Lou (the toughest broad I've ever met - and I mean that with the utmost respect) showed up! Mary Lou is an amazing retired nurse who has been to 47 of the 50 states to do disaster relief work.

At the end of this last week I was able to take a little bit of a tour with the girls (and Carlos), and saw a Tap-Tap be turned into a hearse. I swear they were going to drop the coffin as they were hand-raising it to the top of the bus! A group of us went "pirating" on Saturday - the clinic at "Love a Child" was pulling out, and they gave us a whole flatbed full of much needed medicine and oxygen tanks.

~PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment